Hornady opens a new chapter in its seven-decade-long history with an open house at the company’s new “West” facility in Grand Island, NE. In 2010, Hornady purchased 320 acres on the former Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant grounds to house not only this new facility, but also research-and-development capabilities and other support services for the company’s production operations. The company broke ground on this new 150,000-square-foot production and shipping facility in 2017 and began to ship from the new location in October 2018.
Festivities for the opening of the new facility take place Oct. 26, from noon to 3 p.m., at 8359 Old Potash Highway, six miles west of the firm’s main plant. Gov. Pete Ricketts, Mayor Jeremy Jensen, U.S. Sen. Deb Fischer and U.S. Rep. Adrian Smith headline the special guests on a program that begins at 1 p.m. The public is welcome to attend the grand opening and may also participate in tours available throughout the afternoon.
Hornady’s stature as one of the state’s most prominent businesses is a far cry from its modest beginnings in 1949, when it was founded by J.W. Hornady in a small shop on Fourth Street in Grand Island. Banks weren’t interested in financing a bullet manufacturer at the time, but the company grew and by 1958 moved into a plant west of the city. At the time it covered 8,000 square feet and had an underground range for testing. Business was brisk, though, and in the early 1960s manufacturing space was tripled to 25,000 square feet.
The company stays true to its heritage by offering its famed and diverse line of bullets for reloaders, but also produces cartridges, reloading equipment, security devices and much more. Hornady will mark its 70th anniversary in 2019.