The AR-556 rifle has been one of the most popular offerings in the lineup of Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. firearms, thanks to the general popularity of the modern sporting rifle. In late 2019, Ruger rolled out a new model with a with free-float handguard and a new chambering in .300 BLK.
This new addition to the line of Ruger AR-556 rifles features a 16.1-inch cold hammer-forged barrel that has a 1:7-inch twist rate and pistol-length gas system designed to function reliably with everything from the lightest supersonic hunting rounds and heavy, subsonic .300 BLK rounds.
The rifle also has an 11-inch aluminum, free-float handguard with Magpul M-Lok accessory attachment slots and a standard pistol grip allowing the user to customize the rifle to their liking.
For safety's sake, the dust cover and metal magazine are marked with the caliber for easy identification of both the rifle and ammunition. The pistol-length gas system is tuned to run with a wide variety of ammunition, with or without a silencer and the muzzle features 5/8-24 TPI threads that are capped with a thread protector.
Ruger AR-556 .300 BLK Features
- Flattop upper receiver features a Picatinny rail for easy attachment of magnified optic, red dot or open sights.
- Made from 7075-T6 hard-coat anodized aluminum forgings, shot-peened and proof-tested 9310 steel bolt and 8620 steel bolt carrier. The inside diameter of the carrier and gas key are chrome-plated and the key is staked for longevity.
- Single-stage trigger provides durable and reliable fire control. The enlarged trigger guard is designed to allow gloved shooting in cold weather.
- Six-position, telescoping, M4-style buttstock and mil-spec buffer tube allow the rifle to be properly sized for different shooters or varying levels of outerwear.
- Equipped with a heavy-contour, cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. M4 feed ramps provide improved reliability, and the matte black oxide finish reduces glare and provides corrosion resistance.
- Ergonomic pistol grip features an extended trigger reach for more precise trigger control.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver features a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector.
- Includes one 30-round metal magazine.
MSRP on this rifle is $819, and more information is available at ruger.com.