Kestrel Ballistics, is known for the company's weather meters and long-range shooting accessories, and with its new partnership with Hornady, Kestrel is rolling out an all-new advanced ballistics weather meter for hunters and shooters. The new Kestrel 5700 Ballistics Weather Meter with Hornady 4DOF combines on-site environmental measurements such as wind speed, wind direction and temperature with precise Hornady 4DOF trajectory solutions, creating a compact all-in-one tool for long-range precision shooting.
Shooting Illustrated Ammo Editor Richard Mann highlighted the benefits of the 4DOF ballistics calculator in this review saying:
"By using Doppler radar and actually shooting bullets, Hornady calculates the exact drag curve for every projectile in the 4DOF Bullet Library. (Currently there are more than 100 from Hornady, Lapua, Berger and Sierra.) BC can change as velocity changes, a drag curve doesn’t. Explained simply, instead of using BC, which gives you a snapshot of a bullet at various distances; Hornady has created a video of the bullet’s flight. This allows the 4DOF calculator to predict drop with perfection at any distance, every time.
The takeaway from all this—the one that’ll matter to you and your ammo—is that the Hornady 4DOF ballistic calculator is extraordinarily precise."
Now that the power of the 4DOF ballistic app is now integrated in the Kestrel meter, shooters can leave their phones behind and pick up their Kestrels to give them the critical target data they need in the field. The built-in Hornady 4DOF Ballistic engine provides trajectory solutions based on projectile Drag Coefficient along with the exact physical modeling of the projectile and its mass and aerodynamic properties. Along with features like zero angle and aerodynamic jump, this unit accounts for all the environmental and ballistic variables which can affect bullet trajectory over distance.
- Accurate Environmentals – Measures wind speed and direction, temperature, altitude and more and automatically updates the shooting solution
- 4DOF Solver & G1/G7 Ballistics Solver – Extensive library of independently tested bullet data
- User-Friendly – Easy operation for outdoor use with large buttons for navigating screens and entering information along with bright, clear backlit display readable in direct sunlight or low-light situations
- Rugged, All-Weather Durability – IP67 Waterproof, MIL-STD-810 drop-tested, and backed by a five-year warranty
- Long-lasting Power – Powered by 1 AA Lithium battery, expect hundreds of hours of use from a reliable tool that won’t quit when you need it most
- Load & Go Convenience – Set up a Gun Profile via the free Kestrel LiNK app, then the Kestrel unit is field-ready allowing users to calculate trajectories under any conditions, even in areas without cellular service