FN America is releasing a limited production run of their well-known SCAR-17S Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) rifle chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. This is the first time the SCAR-17S has been offered in this caliber.
The 6.5 Creedmoor first appeared during the late 2000s quickly gained a lot of ground, proving itself in comparison to the .308 Win. round, one of the most popular .30-caliber rifle cartridge in modern history. The 6.5 Creedmoor uses bullets that range from 100 to 147 grains that are longer and sleeker than a typical .308 Win. bullet which enables them to have flatter trajectories and retain more energy at distance. The cartridge casing’s geometry itself is also optimized for accuracy as it has a steeper shoulder that allows bullets to be seated in an optimal way. In addition to these performance benefits, 6.5 Creedmoor is generally regarded to be milder in recoil when compared to .308 Win.
“The SCAR is the most tested rifle platform that FN has ever developed. It was designed to be lightweight, rugged, accurate and modular to give the user a rifle platform that could be configured to their needs,” said Chris Cole, Vice President of Sales for FN America, LLC. “This new and limited-time build demonstrates the modularity of the SCAR design by combining features of the SCAR 17S heavy carbine and the SCAR 20S precision rifle to create a one-of-a-kind, mid-range designated marksman rifle.”
SCAR 17S DMR 6.5CM Specifications:
- Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
- Magazine Capacity: 10 or 20 rounds, ships with one 10-round SCAR-H magazine
- Weight: 9 pounds, 8 ounces
- Length: 36.8 to 38.6 inches, depending on stock adjustment
- Barrel: Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined; 1:8-inch twist
- Barrel Length: 16.25 inches
- Operation: Short Stroke Gas Piston, Non-reciprocating Charging Handles
- Finish: Black or Flat Dark Earth (FDE)
- Sights: MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail, flip-up iron sights
MSRP for the SCAR 17S DMR 6.5CM is $4,629, and to learn more about this rifle and more products from FN America, please visit fnamerica.com.