Marlin Firearms Company got its start in 1870, when founder John Marlin opened his facility in New Haven, CT. Initially focusing on single-shot rifles, Marlin wouldn’t produce the signature lever-action rifle for which it is most famous until 1881. The company also offered top-break revolvers in the latter part of the 19th century.
But, it is the lever-action rifle that made Marlin famous, with the legendary Model 336 (originally launched in 1948, but derived from the 1893) arguably filling more freezers with deer than any other rifle. The lever-action rifle is an icon unto itself, a lifeline to the American West, at least the American West made famous by John Wayne, Chuck Connors and Jimmy Stewart. Marlin is still producing its high-quality lever-action rifles 150 years later.
To celebrate this anniversary, Marlin is offering two commemorative rifles. The first is, naturally, a lever-action rifle in .444 Marlin. With an American black walnut stock, gold-inlay receiver and half-octagon, half-round barrel, this distinctive rifle features historically correct checkering and Skinner sights. The other rifle is a Marlin Model 60, the company’s semi-automatic, tubular-magazine-fed offering. This rifle features a special 150th anniversary medallion in the stock and a special serial number.
In addition to the two commemorative rifles available, Marlin is also offering a limited, one-year run of ammunition. A first for the company, these can be paired with the anniversary rifles or solo, with commemorative headstamps and collectible packaging.